When talking about culottes, some people think that it’s a nasty piece, but that’s not the case at all. Indeed, this piece is back in force in this season, and for those who have not yet adhered to the trend, it’s time to start. Here are some tips to wear the culottes skirt with style.
After the return of platform sandals, overalls or bomber, an old fashion returns to the hit of fashion trends in 2018. This is the culottes that we did not expect to see in our dressing. And for a good reason, appeared more than a century ago, we had not seen it since the ’70s. It was created by Paul Poiret, the father of modern haute couture. He made this piece a true symbol of the emancipation of women. And yes, the culottes allowed the liberalization of the female dress code in the 1920s.
And now this year we find it in all the Wishlist of the most knowledgeable fashionistas. But also, in all the collections of our favorite luxury brands.
The skirt sneaked snugly in your dressing room, but you do not know how to wear it? We give you in this article some tips.
What’s the culotte skirt?
As the name suggests, the culottes are halfway between two pieces. It has the chic of a man’s pants or Bermuda shorts depending on the length, and the fluidity of a skirt. Indeed, it is a wide pant often high waist. It’s because it gives the impression of wearing a skirt that is given that name. This summer, the trend is a little below the knee, the culottes can be a beautiful and comfortable alternative.
The ideal culottes should …
• Mark the size
• To be very flared at the level of the legs
• Have a length 7/8 or mid-calf to clear the ankles perfectly
• Be structured by folds and pliers for a clean cut
But how to choose it?
As we told you, this season the skirt is worn at ankle height or on 7/8. We forget the too long and too short, it must be at the lowest slightly above the ankle. For the shortest length, a midi length no higher.
For the choice of your future skirt, always keep in mind that the simpler it is, the more beautiful it will be. Attention by cons, each model does not necessarily fit everyone. The material and the color are to be chosen carefully according to the morphology of each one.
In itself, the skirt can adapt to all morphologies provided you accompany it and especially to accessorize it. Well adapted, it will thicken the thinnest sizes, hide the hips of the rounder, rebalance the V-shaped silhouettes (with developed shoulders) by creating more volume down.
If you are short
When you are short, it is not always easy to wear this type of clothing. Because of its length and width, it can quickly pack your figure. So, to avoid this, opt for a calf-length skirt to keep a trendy effect. Prefer colorful clothes and heavy material that will structure your silhouette.
Our little trick:
To make your silhouette look slimmer, bet on the vertical stripes. They will be your best asset!
If you are tall
For this summer, choose fluids that are more comfortable to wear. But you can also select a denim material for a fresh and trendy look. Or, an ultra-ample model that will bring elegance to a contemporary look.
If you are fine
When you’re fine, choose a high-waisted, belt-hugging style, preferably very tight and made from heavy fabric. This will bring elegance to your outfit and will highlight your hips. Prefer the culotte with trendy 2018 colors like ocher or rust.
The advantage of skirt-pants for these silhouettes is that it camouflages the curves and releases the ankles. So, to structure it but not to weigh it down, prefer the fluid materials and a 7/8 length. For chicer look, choose solid and dark colors such as black, khaki, and navy blue. Finally, avoid models too wide or pleated at the waist.
How to wear the Culotte?
First, as this garment is borrowed from the dressing of the 20s, a retro-chic style can be a good reminder. Easier said than done! It is not always easy to choose this type of piece because of its originality. And it can quickly become a puzzle to know what to associate with it. If you do not associate it in the right way, it may tend to compress and weigh down the figure. Forget the total-look sport or BCBG style that does not match this very original garment. But do not be afraid to dare, each one has its own style, and you must not go against the wrong way.
In general, the culottes match very well with a laundress, basic t-shirts or fitted close to the body with the larger models. And for the smallest people, we do not forget to put the top in the pants to play on the proportions and look bigger. Also, the cropped top or the belted beautiful sweater can be an excellent alternative for these silhouettes.
What type of jacket to wear with Culottes?
When it comes to jackets, a fitted, open-fitting suit jacket or fitted jacket can let you play with volumes. The culottes can also be worn with a bomber. The condition for this is that it must well mark the size and hips. Thus, in the opposite case, it can quickly make a bag. Finally, classic models bring a touch of elegance with a beige or black trench coat, or even a leather jacket.
What type of shoes to wear with Culottes?
First of all, when it comes to shoes, the culotte skirt does not like tasseled loafers and boat shoes that look too old. Depending on the style you want to adopt flat sandals, sneakers or heels may be suitable. For a trendy look, platform shoes will be ideal. To be comfortable, wear them with creepers, they are suitable for models with light and fluid materials.
Finally, in winter, wear leather boots with notched soles, leather boots with heels or suede pumps. The skirt is perfect for a chic hippie look, as long as you wear it with square high heel boots.
- Classically, wear it with a printed blouse, a fluid blouse, a sweater, and a blazer. To liven up the outfit, bring shine with a gold necklace composed of contrasting rhinestones and ceramic earrings imitation “stone” Isabel Marrant brand.
- For a chic look, wear a white culotte skirt made of a wool blend and embellished with flat pleats running the full height of the garment. In addition, play on the proportions with an ultra-wide model with a high waist for a contemporary look. So, to bring out your size, come in a tunic with olive-colored cotton sleeves. Finally, put on red leather sandals and a light brown leather tote bag.
- The most comfortable with their style will be able to wear it in a sportswear way. For a laid-back weekend, opt for a simple black crew-neck t-shirt and black culottes. To boost the ensemble, we associate this outfit with a pair of colored sneakers or platform mules. If not, choose a very light grey fleece or light grey jersey skirt, a white t-shirt and a beige trench coat. Finish with a pair of white basketballs. A combo that will keep a clean and simple style.
- To go out between girlfriends during the summer, adopt the total white look. Wear a structured straight skirt with pronounced pleats, an elastic waist, and a trendy loose fit. Pair it with a white tank top and a white fitted blazer that you will have put together beforehand. Finally, put on sandals with heels in light brown leather.
So, if you liked this look, do not hesitate to contact us! Or discover the latest collections of women’s ready-to-wear dresses on our site!